Saturday 16 February 2008

Angela Carter; a true inspiration


Angela Carter is one of my favourite writers - outstandingly creative, a powerful writer and completely unafraid of subversion. I have always been interested in her work with mythic themes and the way she reappropriated them with a feminist slant. The world is the poorer for having lost her, already 16 years ago. I wonder what she would have made of the state of things now.
My favourite Carter novel is The Passion of New Eve, a blistering journey into the construction of gender and sexuality. In terms of body modification it also makes me think in some way of the work of "Carnal Artist" Orlan (www.orlan.net) , who I recently heard giving a talk at Central School of Speech and Drama. I've also been reading about Marina Abramovic who I find fascinating... more on her another time.

No comments: